Veteran's Tax Topics

We recognize that understanding tax issues related to veterans can be time-consuming and complicated, and want to help provide the information you need. We have created this page to help you better understand the Sales and Use tax and Property tax topics that are important to veterans and veteranís organizations.

Sales and Use Tax Overview

If you own a business in California and you expect to be making taxable sales, you must register with the BOE for a seller's permit and file regular sales and use tax returns. Generally, sales tax applies to a veteranís sales as it would to anyone else. However, there are laws that allow qualified veterans and veteranís organizations to make certain sales which are not subject to tax.

Property Tax Overview

The BOE works with county assessors to ensure property tax laws and assessment issues are administered correctly. While there is no general property tax exclusion for veterans, there are laws that reduce the property tax due for qualified veterans and veteranís organizations.

Please review the information below to see what specific tax topics relate to you:


Property Tax

If you are a veteran who owns a limited amount of property, that is, $5,000 or less if you are single and $10,000 or less if you are married, you may be eligible for the Veteransí Exemption. This exemption provides an exemption from property tax on the full value of your property up to $4,000 in value.

For more information, including qualifications, see Veteransí Exemption and the county assessor where the property is located.

Disabled Veteran

Property Tax

If you are a qualified disabled veteran, you may claim the basic Disabled Veteransí Exemption from property tax on your principal place of residence up to $100,000 on the full value of your property or a low-income exemption up to $150,000.

The Disabled Veteransí Exemption provides a more advantageous exemption than the Veterans' Exemption and Homeowners' Exemption. Therefore, if you qualify, you should choose this exemption in lieu of the Veteransí Exemption or the Homeownersí Exemption.

For more information, including qualifications, filing requirements, and FAQs, see Disabled Veteransí Exemption and the county assessor where the property is located.

Itinerant Veteran Vendor

Sales and Use Tax

If you are a qualified itinerant veteran vendor, you are the consumer of items owned and sold, except alcoholic beverages or items sold for more than $100, and you are not required to hold a sellerís permit. Instead, you must pay sales tax on your purchases of all taxable items that you intend to sell.

Qualified itinerant veteran vendors are those who:

  • were honorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces,
  • are sole proprietors with no employees,
  • have no permanent place of business in this state, and
  • are unable to obtain a livelihood by manual labor due to a service related disability.

Examples of qualified itinerant veteran vendors include:
Swap meet or flea market vendors, lunch wagon operators and coffee cart providers.

Examples of goods and services commonly sold by qualified itinerant veteran vendors include:
Groceries, meals, firewood, Christmas trees, fireworks, automotive tools, interior design services, home repair services, landscaping, computer repair, mobile windshield repairs, vitamins, cosmetics, clothing, curtains, appliances, electronic goods, furniture, rugs, computers, kitchenware, jewelry, books, flowers, magazines, art, and souvenirs.

For more information, please see Revenue and Taxation Code section 6018.3.

Nonprofit Veterans' Organization

Sales and Use Tax

If you are a nonprofit veterans’ organization that makes sales of merchandise or goods, you are required to register for a seller’s permit. Generally, items you sell are taxable.

This is true whether you buy the items, make them, or receive them as a donation. Items you purchase can be bought with a resale certificate if you intend to resell them. You should not purchase items for use by your group with a resale certificate; instead, you should pay tax to your supplier on these items.

When you sell American flags, if the profits are used exclusively by the organization, sales of the flags are not taxable. However, you should pay tax to your supplier when you purchase flags or materials used to make them.

When you sell “Buddy Poppies” or similar symbolic, temporary lapel pins, the purchase and sale of the items are not taxable when both of the following conditions are met:

  • The pins are sold or purchased by the Veterans of Foreign Wars or other specified organizations.
  • The pins memorialize U.S. military veterans killed in foreign wars.

Tax does not apply to your sales of meals and food products when all of the following conditions are met:

  • You sell the food or meals at a social or other gathering you conduct.
  • You furnish the meals or food to raise funds for your organization’s functions and activities.
  • You use the proceeds to carry out those functions and activities.

Note: If you sell carbonated and alcoholic beverages included in a single price of a meal, those items are not taxable. If you sell carbonated or alcoholic beverages for a separate price, those items are taxable.

You should report all your sales on the sales and use tax return. You may claim a deduction for sales not taxable under “Other deductions” and provide a clear explanation (for example, flag sales by nonprofit veterans’ organization).

For more information, please see publication 18, Nonprofit Organizations.

Property Tax

Property owned by a Nonprofit Veterans’ Organization chartered by the Congress of the United States may be eligible for a property tax exemption (Veterans’ Organization Exemption).  Property owned by a qualified organization is not subject to property tax when used by the organization for charitable purposes only, and when the profit earned is not used to benefit a private individual or member of the organization.

For more information, please see our Property Tax Payment & Relief – Welfare or Veterans’ Organization Exemptions - FAQs, Revenue and Taxation Code sections 215 and 215.1, and the county assessor where the property is located.

Need Assistance?

If you have additional questions regarding sales and use tax exemptions, please call our Customer Service Center at 1-800-400-7115 (TTY 711). Representatives are available Monday through Friday, (except state holidays), from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Pacific Time).

If you have additional questions regarding property tax exemptions, please call the BOE’s County-Assessed Properties Division at 1-916-274-3350 or contact your county assessor.