California City & County Sales & Use Tax Rates
- Tax Rates Effective April 1, 2013
- Tax Rates Effective January 1, 2013......More Detail
- Tax Rate Charts (BOE-180, Sales Tax Reimbursement Schedules)
- Tax Rates by County and City (BOE-95 PDF)
- District Taxes, Rates, and Effective Dates
- Detailed Breakdown of the Sales and Use Tax Rate
- Historical Tax Rates
California has many special taxing jurisdictions (districts), which are funded by a transactions (sales) and use tax rate that is added to the standard statewide rate of 7.50%, effective January 1, 2013. The tax rates for these districts range from 0.10% to 1.00% per district. In some areas, there is more than one district tax in effect. In others, there is no district tax in effect.
Sellers are required to report and pay the applicable district taxes for your taxable sales and purchases. For more information see:
California City and County Sales and Use Tax Rates, Publication 71
This important publication provides information about the following:
- rates and effective dates of district taxes throughout California
- errors which can occur when using a Zip Code or mailing address to determine a sales tax rate
- recent tax rate changes
- History of Sales and Use Tax Rates
- the combined sales, use, and district tax rate in certain cities and communities in California
Tax Rate Locator
As an additional resource for obtaining the sales and use tax rate for a specific address, you may use the free tax rate locator service on the Pitney Bowes Local Sales and Use Tax Rate Locator website. That site allows any person to determine local tax jurisdictions and tax rates based on address. That site is not maintained by the Board of Equalization and the link to that site is provided only as a public service. The Board of Equalization is not responsible for the content or accuracy of the information shown on that site. Problems or suggestions concerning the information on geotax.com should be sent to Pitney Bowes Software. Please let the Board of Equalization webmaster know if you experience any difficulties with the link to geotax.com.
Database of Addresses
Some cities have developed lists of addresses to assist retailers and consumers in identifying addresses located within the special taxing jurisdictions. In cooperation with these cities, we are providing links to their address databases. If you have questions about the addresses, you should contact the cities directly.
The following files are provided to download tax rates for California Cities (and Counties). Files are available below for tax rates effective 1/1/13 and 4/1/13 (all have 3 digits after the decimal).
Please contact the Local Revenue and Allocation Unit at 916-324-3000 if you have any questions regarding this information.