Laws, Regulations & Annotations
Property Taxes Law Guide – Revision 2016
Government Code Provisions
Provisions Relating to Solar-Use Easements
Chapter 6.9. SOLAR-USE EASEMENT*
Article 2. General Provisions
51191.3. Contents of deed or other instrument. (a) A county or city may require a deed or other instrument described in subdivision (c) of Section 51190 to contain any restrictions, conditions, or covenants as are necessary or desirable to restrict the use of the land to photovoltaic solar facilities.
(b) The restrictions, conditions, or covenants may include, but are not limited to, the following:
(1) Mitigation measures on the land that is subject to the solar-use easement.
(2) Mitigation measures beyond the land that is subject to the solar-use easement.
(3) If deemed necessary by the city or county to ensure that decommissioning requirements are met, the provision for financial assurances, such as performance bonds, letters of credit, a corporate guarantee, or other securities to fund, upon the cessation of the solar photovoltaic use, the restoration of the land that is subject to the easement to the conditions that existed before the approval or acceptance of that easement by the time that the easement terminates.
(4) Provision for necessary amendments by the parties provided that the amendments are consistent with the provisions of this chapter.
(c) For term easements or self-renewing easements, the restrictions, conditions, or covenants shall include a requirement for the landowner to post a performance bond or other securities to fund the restoration of the land that is subject to the easement to the conditions that existed before the approval or acceptance of the easement by the time the easement terminates. The Department of Conservation may adopt regulations pursuant to the Administrative Procedure Act (Chapter 3.5 (commencing with Section 11340) of Division 3 of Title 2) to implement this subdivision.
* Chapter 6.9 was added by Stats. 2011, Ch. 596 (SB 618), in effect January 1, 2012.