Laws, Regulations & Annotations
Property Taxes Law Guide – Revision 2013
Government Code Provisions
Provisions Relating to Timberland
Chapter 6.7. Timberland*
Article 1. General Provisions
51102. Policy of state. (a) The Legislature further declares that to fully realize the productive potential of the forest resources and timberlands of the state, and to provide a favorable climate for long-term investment in forest resources, it is the policy of this state to do all of the following:
(1) Maintain the optimum amount of the limited supply of timberland to ensure its current and continued availability for the growing and harvesting of timber and compatible uses.
(2) Discourage premature or unnecessary conversion of timberland to urban and other uses.
(3) Discourage expansion of urban services into timberland.
(4) Encourage investment in timberlands based on reasonable expectation of harvest.
(b) The Legislature further declares that it is the policy of this state that timber operations conducted in a manner consistent with forest practice rules adopted by the State Board of Forestry and Fire Protection shall not be or become restricted or prohibited due to any land use in or around the locality of those operations.
History.—Added by Stats. 1982, Ch. 1489, in effect January 1, 1983. Stats. 1998, Ch. 972 (SB 989), in effect January 1, 1999, deleted "in order" after "declares that" in the first sentence and deleted "so as" after "timberland" in paragraph (1) of subdivision (a); and added "and Fire Protection" after "Forestry" in subdivision (b).
* Chapter 6.7 was added by Stats. 1976, Ch. 176, p. 305, in effect May 24, 1976. Secs. 20 and 21 thereof provided no payment by state to local governments because of this act.