Laws, Regulations & Annotations

Property Taxes Law Guide – Revision 2014
 

Property Tax Annotations


A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    L    M    N    O    P    R    S    T    U    V    W   

C

220.0000 CHANGE IN OWNERSHIP

Annotation 220.0116

220.0116 Corporate Stock Transfers. All the voting capital stock of Corporation X is held by an irrevocable trust of which individuals S, A, B, and C are the income beneficiaries. Corporation X owns real property which it has held prior to the formation of the trust in 1969. Income from the trust is paid 75% to S with the remaining 25% paid equally to A, B, and C. The trust provides that upon the death of S, the trust is terminated and the stock of Corporation X will be distributed in equal shares to A, B, and C.

The distribution of corporate stock held by an irrevocable trust to the trust beneficiaries will not result in a change in ownership under Revenue and Taxation Code section 60 because one of the necessary elements of a change in ownership, the transfer of the beneficial interest, is lacking. Furthermore, the distribution of the stock of Corporation X to A, B, and C will not result in a change in ownership under Revenue and Taxation Code section 64(c) because neither A, B, nor C would obtain control of the voting stock of Corporation X after the transfer; each would have 33.33% of such stock after the transfer. C 6/21/2000.