Laws, Regulations & Annotations
Property Taxes Law Guide – Revision 2012
Government Code Provisions
Provisions Relating to the California Land Conservation Act of 1965 (The Williamson Act)
Chapter 7. Agricultural Land*
Article 2.5. Agricultural Preserves†
51230.1. Transfer of ownership to an immediate family member.(a) Nothing contained in this chapter shall prevent the transfer of ownership from one immediate family member to another of a portion of land which is currently designated as an agricultural preserve in accordance with the provisions of this chapter, if all of the following conditions are satisfied:
(1) The parcel to be transferred is at least 10 acres in size in the case of prime agricultural land or at least 40 acres in size in the case of land which is not prime agricultural land, and otherwise meets the requirements of Section 51222.
(2) The parcel to be transferred conforms to the applicable local zoning and land division ordinances and any applicable local coastal program certified pursuant to Chapter 6 (commencing with Section 30500) of Division 20 of the Public Resources Code.
(3) The parcel to be transferred complies with all applicable requirements relating to agricultural income and permanent agricultural improvements which are imposed by the county or city as a condition of a contract executed pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 51240) covering the land of which the parcel to be transferred is a portion. For purposes of this paragraph, if the contracted land already complies with these requirements, the portion of that land to be transferred shall be deemed to comply with these requirements.
(4) There exists a written agreement between the immediate family members who are parties to the proposed transfer that the land which is subject to a contract executed pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 51240) and the portion of that land which is to be transferred will be operated under the joint management of the parties subject to the terms and conditions and for the duration of the contract executed pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 51240).
(b) A transfer of ownership described in subdivision (a) shall have no effect on any contract executed pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 51240) covering the land of which a portion was the subject of that transfer. The portion so transferred shall remain subject to that contract.
(c) For purposes of this section, "immediate family" means the spouse of the landowner, the natural or adopted children of the landowner, the parents of the landowner, or the siblings of the landowner.
History.—Added by Stats. 1983, Ch. 880, in effect January 1, 1984. Stats. 1987, Ch. 232, in effect January 1, 1988, deleted former subsections (a)(1) and (a)(2), which provided "(1) The parcel transferred conforms to the local zoning and land division ordinances." and "(2) A written agreement between the landowner and the immediate family member transferring land which is currently designated as an agricultural preserve to be operated under joint management of the agreeing parties for the duration of the terms and conditions as they relate to land as defined by this chapter"; added subsections (a)(1), (a)(2), (a)(3), and (a)(4); added "the" after "covering" in subdivision (b); and added subdivision (c).
* Unless otherwise noted Chapter 7 was added by Stats. 1965, p. 3377, in effect September 17, 1965.
† Article 2.5 was added by Stats. 1969, p. 2806, in effect November 10, 1969.