Laws, Regulations & Annotations
Property Taxes Law Guide – Revision 2011
Revenue and Taxation Code
Part 0.5. Implementation of Article XIII A of the California Constitution
Chapter 6. Allocation of Property Tax Revenue
Article 4. Tax Equity Allocations for Certain Cities
98.1. Computations; County of Orange. (a) In the County of Orange, the computations made pursuant to Section 96.1 or its predecessor section, for the 1984–85 fiscal year only, shall be modified as follows:
(1) With respect to tax rate areas within the boundaries of a qualifying city, there shall be excluded from the aggregate amount of "property tax revenue allocated pursuant to this chapter to local agencies, other than for a qualifying city, in the prior fiscal year," an amount equal to the sum of amounts calculated pursuant to the TEA formula, as defined in subdivision (c).
(2) The amount excluded pursuant to paragraph (1) shall be subtracted from the allocations of all local agencies other than a qualifying city with tax rate areas within the boundaries of a qualifying city in proportion to each such local agency's share of the total 1983–84 property tax revenues, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 95, allocated to all those tax rate areas.
(b) (1) Each qualifying city, as defined in subdivision (d), shall for the 1984–85 fiscal year only, be allocated by the auditor an amount determined pursuant to the TEA formula, as defined in subdivision (c).
(2) For each qualifying city, the auditor shall distribute the amount determined pursuant to the TEA formula to all tax rate areas within the city in proportion to each tax rate area's share of the total 1983–84 assessed value in the city.
(3) After making the allocations, pursuant to paragraphs (1) and (2) but before making the calculations pursuant to Section 96.5, the auditor shall, for all tax rate areas in the qualifying city, calculate the proportionate share of property tax revenue allocated pursuant to this section and Section 96.1 in the 1984–85 fiscal year to each jurisdiction in the tax rate area.
(4) In lieu of making the allocations of annual tax increment pursuant to subdivision (e) of Section 96.5 or its predecessor section, the auditor shall for the 1984–85 fiscal year only, allocate the amount of property tax revenue determined pursuant to subdivision (d) of Section 96.5 or its predecessor section to jurisdictions in the tax rate area using the proportionate shares derived pursuant to paragraph (3).
(5) For purposes of the calculations made pursuant to Section 96.1 or its predecessor section, in the 1985–86 fiscal year and fiscal years thereafter, the amounts allocated to qualifying cities pursuant to this subdivision (notwithstanding any deduction made pursuant to subdivision (e)) shall be deemed to be the "amount of property tax revenue allocated pursuant to this chapter in the prior fiscal year."
(c) "TEA formula" shall mean Tax Equity Allocation formula, and shall be calculated by the auditor by applying a tax rate of ten cents ($.10) for $100 assessed value to the 1983–84 assessed value of the qualifying city.
(d) "Qualifying city" shall mean any city in the County of Orange that existed but did not levy a property tax in the 1977–78 fiscal year.
(e) The auditor may assess each qualifying city its proportional share of the actual costs of making the calculations required by this section, and may deduct that assessment from the amount allocated pursuant to subdivision (b). For purposes of this subdivision, a qualifying city's proportional share of the auditor's actual costs shall not exceed the proportion it receives of the total amounts excluded in the county pursuant to paragraph (1) of subdivision (a).