Laws, Regulations & Annotations
Property Taxes Law Guide – Revision 2011
Government Code Provisions
Provisions Relating to Property Tax Relief
DIVISION 4. FISCAL AFFAIRS
PART 1. FUNDS FOR SUBVENTIONS
Chapter 5. Payment of Postponed Property Taxes*
Article 1. Payments and Liens
16186. Payment of postponed tax liability. If at any time the amount of the obligation secured by the lien for postponed property taxes is paid in full or otherwise discharged, the Controller, or the authorized delegate of the Controller, shall:
(a) In the case of real property:
(1) Execute and cause to be recorded in the office of the county recorder of the county wherein the real property described in the lien is located, a release of the lien conclusively evidencing the satisfaction of all amounts secured by the lien. The cost of recording the release of the lien shall be added to and become part of the obligation secured by the lien being released.
(2) Direct the tax collector to remove from the secured roll, the information required to be entered thereon by paragraph (1) of subdivision (a) of Section 2514 of the Revenue and Taxation Code with respect to the property described in the lien.
(3) Direct the assessor to remove from the assessment records applicable to the property described in the lien, the information required to be entered on such records by Section 2515 of the Revenue and Taxation Code.
(b) In the case of a mobilehome:
(1) Direct the tax collector to remove from the secured roll the information required to be entered thereon by paragraph (1) of subdivision (a) of Section 2514 of the Revenue and Taxation Code.
(2) Transmit a Release of Lien to the owner of the mobilehome or the owner's heirs or assigns. The owner, or the owner's heirs or assigns, shall transmit the Release of Lien, and a fee of six dollars ($6), to the Department of Housing and Community Development. Upon receipt of the Release of Lien and the fee, the department shall terminate the restriction on the permanent title record as provided by Section 16182.
History.—Stats. 1983, Ch. 1051, in effect January 1, 1984, added "In the case of real property:" after "(a)", added "(1)" before "Execute", and substituted "2" for "b" and "c" for "3" in newly reorganized subsection (a); and added subsection (b). Stats. 1984, Ch. 1342, in effect September 26, 1984, substituted "permanent title record . . . 16182." for "transfer of ownership and issue amended title and registration certificates" after "restriction on the" in the third sentence of subsection (b)(2).
* Chapter 6 was enacted by Stats. 1977, Ch. 1242, in effect October 1, 1977, and was renumbered as Chapter 5 by Stats. 1982, Ch. 454, in effect January 1, 1983.