Laws, Regulations & Annotations
Business Taxes Law Guide – Revision 2013
Hazardous Waste Fee Health and Safety Code
CHAPTER 6.5 HAZARDOUS WASTE CONTROL
Article 5. Standards
25158. Requirements for persons generating hazardous waste. (a) Except as provided in subdivision (f), any person generating hazardous waste, or owning or operating a facility for the treatment, storage, or disposal of hazardous waste, shall file with the director, or the director's designee, on a form provided by the director, or the director's designee, a hazardous waste notification statement. An amended statement shall be filed with the department whenever there has been a substantial change in the information provided on the previously filed notification statement. A person shall not generate, treat, store, or dispose of hazardous waste, unless the person files a notification statement with the director pursuant to this section, unless exempted pursuant to subdivision (f).
(b) A hazardous waste notification statement shall include all of the following information:
(1) The name and address of the person owning the facility or conducting the activity specified in subdivision (a).
(2) The address and location of the activity or facility, including the city and county.
(3) The name and 24-hour telephone number of the contact person in the event of an emergency involving the facility or activity.
(4) The quantities of hazardous waste annually handled pursuant to the activity or at the facility.
(5) A description of the hazardous waste activity being conducted, such as generation, treatment, storage, or disposal.
(6) A general description of the hazardous waste being handled.
(c) The department shall prepare and distribute the hazardous waste notification statement forms. The form shall include a statement which clearly states who is required to file the form. The form shall also include a statement that the form is not a substitute for the federal notification required by the Environmental Protection Agency pursuant to subsection (a) of Section 6930 of Title 42 of the United States Code.
(d) Any person who is required to submit a hazardous waste notification statement to the director pursuant to subdivision (a) and who fails to do so is subject to a civil penalty of not less than fifty dollars ($50) and not more than five hundred dollars ($500) for each day for which the department does not receive a statement. Any person who knowingly submits false information to the department is subject to a civil penalty of not less than two thousand dollars ($2,000) and not more than twenty thousand dollars ($20,000) for each day that the false information goes uncorrected.
(e) The director shall compile and organize the statements by the city and county within which each activity and facility are located, and shall transmit the compiled statements to the appropriate regional offices, the California regional water quality control boards, and the officers and agencies authorized to enforce this chapter pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 25180.
(f) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following:
(1) A person who has filed notification with the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency pursuant to subsection (a) of Section 6930 of Title 42 of the United States Code.
(2) A person who only produces household hazardous waste, as defined in subdivision (d) of Section 25218.1.
(3) Any person who owns property on which a cleanup of, or other removal of, or remedial action to, a hazardous waste site is taking place, or who is engaged in any of those activities on a hazardous waste site.