Laws, Regulations & Annotations
Business Taxes Law Guide – Revision 2013
Sales and Use Tax Annotations
490.0000 RETURNS, DEFECTS AND REPLACEMENTS—Regulation 1655
(a) RETURNED MERCHANDISE
(1) In General
490.0085 Restocking Charges. To determine the costs of rehandling and restocking for purposes of Regulation 1655, the direct costs of any specific step in the sequence of actions occurring in the retaking of goods and their return to suppliers, are properly included. This would include, where applicable:
(1) Costs to handle the customer's request for authorization to return the merchandise.
(2) The cost of freight from customer to retailer.
(3) The cost of placing property in a special "assemble and hold" area.
(4) Costs to issue credit memo to the customer.
(5) Costs to obtain authorization from the supplier for the return of the merchandise.
(6) Costs of sending merchandise to the supplier.
The above items are illustrative only and not all inclusive. 2/3/75.