Laws, Regulations & Annotations
Business Taxes Law Guide – Revision 2012
Hazardous Waste Fee Health and Safety Code
CHAPTER 6.5 HAZARDOUS WASTE CONTROL
Article 9. Permitting of Facilities
25200.19. Bulk, packaged, or containerized unloading from offsite locations. (a) A hazardous waste facility that obtains a hazardous waste facilities permit to receive hazardous wastes from offsite locations may conduct bulk, packaged, or containerized hazardous waste unloading operations in accordance with the requirements of this section, except to the extent that the facility is subject to conditions and limitations in the permit concerning the receipt and unloading of hazardous wastes from offsite locations.
(b) A hazardous waste facility that has a hazardous waste facilities permit may conduct bulk, packaged, or containerized hazardous waste loading operations in accordance with the requirements of this section, except to the extent that the facility is subject to conditions and limitations in the permit concerning the shipment and loading for shipment of hazardous wastes to offsite locations.
(c) Unloading and loading operations subject to subdivisions (a) and (b) shall be conducted in accordance with all of the following requirements, unless otherwise specified in the hazardous waste facilities permit:
(1) As part of a loading or unloading operation conducted within the boundary of a hazardous waste facility, the hazardous waste shall not be held longer than 10 days outside of an authorized unit at the facility. The hazardous waste shall be moved directly between the authorized unit and the transport vehicle and shall not be held for any time off the transport vehicle outside of the authorized unit, except for that incidental period of time that is necessary to safely and effectively move the waste from the transport vehicle to the authorized unit or from the authorized unit to the transport vehicle.
(2) All loading and unloading operations shall be conducted within the boundary of the hazardous waste facility.
(3) There shall be adequate capacity within an authorized unit at the hazardous waste facility for all hazardous waste being loaded or unloaded in accordance with this section. Hazardous waste may not be held on any transport vehicle which, if unloaded, would exceed the permitted capacity of the originating or receiving unit at the hazardous waste facility, unless the waste is held on the transport vehicle as part of an authorized transfer operation.
(4) (A) The loading or unloading of bulk hazardous waste shall be conducted within the hazardous waste facility with a containment device or other system capable of collecting and containing leaks and spills that may reasonably be anticipated to occur during loading and unloading operations until the leaked or spilled material is removed, unless otherwise approved by the department in a regulation or permit.
(B) The department may establish specific secondary containment regulations for bulk transfer areas to effectuate the purposes of subparagraph (A). In addition to, or in lieu of, these regulations, the department may specify secondary containment requirements for bulk transfer areas in individual facility permits. Those regulations and permit conditions shall be designed to allow the practical use of trucks and railcars. The standards may include the use of movable containment devices or other systems meeting this criteria.
(d) For purposes of this section, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Loading" means activities associated with removing packaged or containerized hazardous waste from an authorized unit or removing bulk hazardous waste from an authorized container, tank, or unit within a permitted hazardous waste facility, placing it on a transport vehicle within the facility, and shipping the waste offsite to another location in accordance with this chapter.
(2) "Transport vehicle" means a device, including a trailer, to propel, move or draw hazardous wastes by air, rail, highway, or water that is operated pursuant to the requirements of this chapter.
(3) "Unloading" means activities associated with the receipt of bulk, packaged, or containerized hazardous waste at a permitted hazardous waste facility from an offsite location, by means of a transport vehicle, and placing that packaged or containerized hazardous waste into an authorized unit or placing that bulk hazardous waste into an authorized container, tank, or unit within the facility in accordance with this chapter.
(e) The requirements of this section do not apply to hazardous waste being held or transferred pursuant to subparagraph (B) of paragraph (6) of subdivision (b) of Section 25123.3.