Laws, Regulations & Annotations
Business Taxes Law Guide – Revision 2010
Sales And Use Tax Law
CHAPTER 7. OVERPAYMENTS AND REFUNDS
Article 1. Claim for Refund
(1) "Qualified taxpayer" means a person who is a qualified taxpayer within the meaning of paragraph (17) of subdivision (b) of Section 17053.85 or 23685.
(2) "Affiliate" means a qualified taxpayer's affiliated corporation that has been assigned any portion of the credit amount by the qualified taxpayer pursuant to subdivision (c) of Section 23685.
(3) "Credit amount" means an amount equal to the tax credit amount that would otherwise be allowed to a qualified taxpayer pursuant to Section 17053.85 or 23685 but for the election made pursuant to this section.
(4) "Production period" means the production period as defined in paragraph (12) of subdivision (b) of Section 17053.85 or 23685.
(5) (A) "Qualified sales and use taxes" means any state sales and use taxes imposed by Part 1 (commencing with Section 6001), on the operative date of the act adding this section.
(B) Notwithstanding subparagraph (A), "qualified sales and use taxes" does not mean taxes imposed by Section 6051.2, 6051.5, 6201.2, 6201.5, Part 1.5 (commencing with Section 7200), Part 1.6 (commencing with Section 7251), or Section 35 of Article XIII of the California Constitution.
(b) (1) A qualified taxpayer may, in lieu of claiming the credit allowed by Section 17053.85 or 23685, make an irrevocable election to apply the credit amount against qualified sales and use taxes imposed on the qualified taxpayer in accordance with this section.
(2) An affiliate may, in lieu of claiming the assigned portion of the credit allowed by Section 23685, make an irrevocable election to apply the assigned portion of the credit amount against qualified sales and use taxes imposed on the affiliate in accordance with this section.
(c) (1) A qualified taxpayer or affiliate shall submit to the board an irrevocable election, in a form as prescribed by the board, which shall include, but not be limited to, the following information:
(A) Representation that the claimant is a qualified taxpayer or an affiliate.
(B) Statement of the dates on which the production period began and ended.
(C) The credit amount, and if an affiliate, the portion of the credit amount assigned to it and documentation supporting the assignment of that portion of the credit amount.
(D) The amount of qualified sales and use taxes the claimant remitted to the board during the period commencing on the first day of the calendar quarter commencing immediately before the beginning of the production period, and ending on the date the claimant was required to file its most recent sales and use tax return with the board.
(E) A copy of the credit certificate issued pursuant to subparagraph (C) of paragraph (2) of subdivision (g) of Section 17053.85 or 23685.
(2) The election shall be filed on or before the date on which the qualified taxpayer or affiliate would first be allowed to claim a credit pursuant to Section 17053.85 or 23685 on its tax return.
(d) (1) The claimant may elect to obtain a refund of qualified sales and use taxes paid during the period described in subparagraph (D) of paragraph (1) of subdivision (c). If the claimant elects to obtain a refund of qualified sales and use taxes, the claimant shall file a claim for refund with the irrevocable election described in subdivision (c). The refund amount shall not exceed, for a qualified taxpayer, the credit amount, or for an affiliate, the portion of the credit amount assigned to it.
(2) No interest shall be paid on any amount refunded or credited pursuant to paragraph (1).
(e) If the claimant does not elect to obtain a refund or in the case where the credit amount, or assigned portion, exceeds the amount of its claim for refund for the qualified sales and use taxes, the claimant may, for the reporting periods in the five years following the last reporting period as described in subparagraph (D) of paragraph (1) of subdivision (c), offset any remaining credit amount, or assigned portion, against the qualified sales and use taxes imposed during those reporting periods.
(f) Section 6961 shall apply to any refund, or part thereof, that is erroneously made and any credit, or part thereof, that is erroneously allowed pursuant to this section.
(g) The board shall provide an annual listing to the Franchise Tax Board, in a form and manner agreed upon by the board and the Franchise Tax Board, of the qualified taxpayers, or affiliates that have been assigned a portion of the credit allowed under Section 23685 pursuant to subdivision (c) of Section 23685, who, during the year, have made an irrevocable election pursuant to this section and the credit amount, or portion of the credit amount, claimed by each qualified taxpayer or affiliate.
(h) The board may prescribe rules and regulations for the administration of this section.
History.—Added by Stats. 2009, Ch. 17XXX (SB 15XXX), in effect February 20, 2009.