450 N Street - Historical Timeline
<< Back to Building Assessment Timeline
This page remains under construction, and is not necessarily all inclusive. The timeline is a listing of many issues with the building that have occurred in the past several years, leading up to the closure of the 22nd, 23rd and 24th floors in October of 2007. Documents related to the events listed on this timeline will be linked to the appropriate reference and posted here. This information is being made available as an information resource.
- June 1998 – Capitol Square Water Infiltration Investigation (representing CalPERS, the building owner)
- December 2003 – Curtain Wall Glazing System Leaks Investigation Report (DGS Real Estate Services Division contracted with McGinnis Chen Associates LLP)
- July 15, 2004 – Letter to LAO from DGS responding to the request that DGS review the potential for legal action against the manufacturer of the windows at 450 N Street.
- January 2005 – Exterior Envelope Remediation (Project to remediate the water intrusion through the glazing system, precast concrete panels, and the 23rd floor balcony decks identified in the McGinnis report of 2003).
- January 20, 2005 – Project Cost Summary of Exterior Envelope remediation completed by DGS.
- February 14, 2005 – DGS submits request (Finance letter in the form of a BCP) to DOF for the repair of the exterior curtain wall project.
- February 26, 2005 – DOF returns Finance Letter to DGS requesting repair of exterior curtain wall without approval.
- April 27, 2005 – Senate Subcommittee discussion item on agenda regarding BOE Headquarters Window Repair Project.
- July 28, 2005 – Public works project authorization and transfer request (form 22) initiated by DGS for the preliminary plans and working drawings phases for the exterior curtain wall project.
- October 13, 2005 – DGS Estimate Summary for the safety scaffolding around building.
- October 14, 2005 – Form 22 initiated by DGS for the emergency safety and protective measures to protect public from spandrel glass breakage per cost estimate.
- October 31, 2005 – Emergency Declaration released by the DGS regarding the Life and Safety Deficiencies at the Capital Square Building, 450 N Street (letter serving as written notice of an emergency posed by spandrel glass breakage resulting in falling glass at 450 N Street).
- October 18, 2005 – January 17, 2006 – DGS construction progress reports under the emergency letter of direction (fencing, scaffolding etc due to falling glass).
- November 2005 – Glass Breakage Evaluation Report
- November 29, 2005 – DGS memo from Construction Services Branch, Direct Construction Unit to DCU Area #2 Office Sacramento, notifying that construction funding approved by DOF for safety scaffolding around building.
- December 6, 2005 – Memo from BOE to DOF regarding curtain wall project.
- December 15, 2005 – Request for funding deficiency and Section 26.00 request from BOE to DOF regarding glass falling from the building.
- January 4, 2006 – Notification of receipt and approval of deficiency funding request from the BOE and notification of receipt of section 26.00 request from the BOE letter from DOF to Legislature regarding glass falling from the building.
- January 4, 2006 – Change order (install sidewalk canopies to provide overhead debris protection to pedestrians).
- January 9, 2006 – Form 22 initiated by DGS for the transfer of fund in ARF for the construction phase for the repair of Exterior Curtain Wall Project.
- January 30, 2006 – Curtain wall remediation estimate summary completed.
- February 2, 2006 – Emergency work items performed (erect safety scaffolding, fencing and bracings).
- February 5, 2006 – Preliminary estimates completed for the 450 N Street Exterior Envelope Remediation.
- February 9, 2006 – Change order (install overhead canopy protection at first floor area near cafeteria and fourth floor parking area).
- April 18, 2006 – Bid tabulations and project cost summary completed for the Exterior Curtain Wall Project.
- August 25, 2006 – Standard agreement signed between BOE and SR Trucking Moving and Storage for moving services.
- August 29, 2006 – Request for transfer of funds completed for Repair of Exterior Curtain Wall Project.