Credit Card Payment Program For Tax & Fee Payments
The Board of Equalization offers several methods to pay your sales and use taxes, excise taxes, environmental fees, fuel taxes, accounts receivable and audit payments. One method is by charging your sales and use tax payments using a credit card issued by American Express, Discover Network, MasterCard, or Visa. The following conditions apply:
- The credit card vendor will charge a convenience fee of 2.3% of the transaction amount. This convenience fee is retained by the vendor and is not revenue to the Board of Equalization. The minimum fee is $1.00. The following are some examples of how the fee is calculated:
|$10 X .023 (2.3%)||= $1.00 minimum|
|$100 X .023 (2.3%)||= $2.30|
|$1,000 X .023 (2.3%)||= $23.00|
|$10,000 X .023 (2.3%)||= $230.00|
For payments above $100,000 to $10,000,000 please contact your credit card issuer for pre-approval. Then, call the Official Payments Corporation at 800-487-4567.
- You can charge taxes and fees that are due with your return or your prepayment form.
- You can charge tax and fee accounts receivable and audit liabilities for which you have been billed by the Board.
- You can charge your payment if you are e-filing your return or prepayment using BOE-file.
- You cannot charge your tax payment if you are required to pay by electronic funds transfer (EFT).
How do I charge my payment?
- To e-file your sales and use tax return and charge your payment, please click on the BOE-file logo.
- To file a paper return or prepayment form, first complete your return or prepayment form to determine how much tax is due.
- If you received a billing statement/notice from the Board of Equalization, have that available when making payment.
- Click here to make your payment over the Internet, or call 800-2PAY-TAX (800-272-9829) and follow the recorded instructions. The credit card processing vendor will charge a convenience fee of 2.3% of the transaction amount. This fee is retained by the vendor and is not revenue to the Board. The minimum fee is $1.00. Before making your payment, please have the following information available. At the end of your transaction, you will be given a confirmation number which you should retain.
- If you are filing a paper return, after authorizing the payment and receiving your confirmation number, check the box on your return or prepayment form indicating you paid by credit card. For Consumer Use Tax Returns, a space is provided to enter your confirmation number. Then sign and mail your completed return or prepayment form.
For more information, see our Frequently Asked Questions or call our Information Center at 800-400-7115. Customer service representatives are available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., excluding State holidays.