Information Needed to Get Started (Español)

Business activities requiring registration with the Board of Equalization:

Depending on what type of permit, account or license you are applying for, specific information will be required in the registration application process.  The following is a checklist of general information that you may need before you begin:

  • Social Security Number(s) (corporate officers excluded)
  • Driver License(s) or State Identification number(s)
    Note: Other forms of acceptable identifications may include, but are not limited to, U.S. passport, U.S. military ID, Consular Identification cards, or Visa (E-2)
  • Email address (contact and business)
  • Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)
  • State Employer Identification Number (SEIN)
  • For Corporations:  corporate name, corporate number, state and date incorporated
  • Name, address and phone number of partner(s), corporate officer(s), member(s) or manager(s)
  • Name(s) and phone number(s) of personal references
  • Name(s) and address(es) of supplier(s)
  • North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) code
  • Standard Industrial Classification (SIC)
  • Bank Information (name and address)
  • Name and account number of the merchant credit card processor
  • Name, address, and phone number of the person(s) who maintains the books and records

In addition, if you are applying for other permits, accounts, or licenses, you may also need to provide the following information:

Cannabis Taxes:

  • Cannabis License Number

Environmental Fees:

  • Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) number
  • Employment Development Department (EDD) number (payroll number)

Excise Taxes:

  • Public Utilities Commission (PUC) number
  • Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) number
  • Interstate Common Carrier (ICC) number

Fuel Taxes:

  • Terminal Control Number (TCN)
  • Internal Revenue Service (IRS) 637 Letter of Registration
  • Department of Transportation (DOT) number
  • Certificate of Registration for Motor Carriers (MX) number
  • California International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) number
  • Interstate User Diesel Fuel Tax License number
  • Real Property Parcel Number
  • Public Utilities Commission (PUC) number
  • Vehicle Information
  • Lease Agreement Information

Timber Yield Taxes:

  • Operation Number

Use Tax (Vehicle, Vessel, Aircraft, or Mobile/Manufactured Home):

  • Serial Number of a mobile/manufactured home or aircraft
  • Decal Number of a mobile/manufactured home
  • Make of a mobile/manufactured home, vehicle, vessel, or aircraft
  • Year of a mobile/manufactured home, vehicle, vessel, or aircraft
  • Date of purchase of the mobile/manufactured home, vehicle, vessel, or aircraft
  • Purchase price/selling price of the mobile/manufactured home, vehicle, vessel, or aircraft
  • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of vehicle
  • License plate number of vehicle or undocumented (DMV registered) vessel
  • Location address of mobile/manufactured home, vehicle, vessel, or aircraft
  • Documentation number of US Coast Guard registered vessel
  • Hull identification number of the vessel
  • Tail number of the aircraft
  • Model of the aircraft

If you have any questions, you may contact our Customer Service Center at 1-800-400-7115 (TTY:711), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Pacific Time, excluding state holidays.

Begin Registration